From:
Ruth Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2021 13:35:35 -0400
I completed the UM master beekeeping course partly to learn more about bees and beekeeping, but also to gain a credential that indicates to the world that I have some level of proficiency in bee keeping. In our male-centric occupation, men are often assumed to be competent, whereas women need an educational credential to prove they have some real knowledge or experience. (I'm not trying to start a gender war here, or accuse anyone of anything, I'm just explaining my rational.)

Over my 20+ years keeping bees, I have seen numerous 3-5 year beekeepers claim to be experts, and make money selling books, products or classes, and then vanish when they or their students start encountering real trouble and bee loss. Many potentially good beginning beekeepers have been burnt by these experiences and have given up, which is sad. But how does a beginning beekeeper know who is an expert and who is a self-confident newbie? We all know the "ask two beekeepers a question..."  line. Who are they to believe?

Personally, I teach and mentor new beekeepers, and I thought that having a credential might give my future students confidence that what I am teaching them has a solid scientific foundation.

But could beekeeping in America benefit from a national standardized ranking/badge/credentialing system? I can see pluses and minuses, but I am curious as to what others think. So please weigh in. I'd love to hear what others think.