From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2021 09:59:24 -0400
 No book or online reading can substitute for that learning experience, :-)

Przemek

Thank you Przemek for your statement praising hands on training.  I spent half of my 30 year career with Ontario Hydro as a technical trainer.  The job involved designing & delivering courses for Graduate Engineers, Technologists, & Technicians in High Voltage Transmission Protection & Control systems, both in Ontario & Nigeria.

 Reading a book or watching a video of working with a honey bee colony may be interesting except that there is no chance of learning from your mistakes (being stung)!  Books etc are  valuable tools, but to read one of the hundreds of bee books cover to cover without any hands on application of the techniques described is only a cure for insomnia.  Books should be used as one of the preliminary steps in carrying out a given task.

I have written a book, although unpublished, describing my methods & equipment used in my beekeeping life but warn potential readers with the following:
This book is mostly about how I keep bees and the various practices I follow.  I have included only brief descriptions of honeybee diseases and pests because the details are covered in every other beekeeping book.  I have, however, included the methods I use to deal with them and the methods I have tried and no longer use.  I have also included beekeeping equipment and methods I have tried and adopted, as well as some I didn't like and no longer use and, of course, my reasons for giving them up.  Most of the rules and regulations mentioned are those in force in Ontario, Canada.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada 44N80W