From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2021 09:37:52 -0400
> To be an important bee plant it must be widespread.  Or is there some other area it grows?

Goldenrod (Solidago) is very widespread in the US, but it is not always a valuable honey plant. In my area, there are vast fields of it. These are mostly pastures that are cut for hay or simply neglected. The neglected pastures eventually "succession" to other species, and eventually back to woods.

From what I have learned, soil types influence goldenrod nectar production. It produces abundant pollen but not nectar on "sweet soil," whereas on sour soil like we have here (formerly forested), it is a very heavy nectar producer. Evidently clover species are the opposite: nectar is abundant on sweet soil, not on acid soils.

The basic flows in this region are: spring (fruit trees, invasive shrubs, Robinia); summer (Tilia is the best but not reliable); fall (Japanese knotweed and/or goldenrod). Knotweed is a very reliable source; I remember it failing only once in many years. It simply rained too much during the two week bloom period.

PLB