Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 2021 21:20:31 -0400
> Plant toxin levels in nectar vary spatially across native and introduced populations

I think it's tempting to assume that toxic substances occur in nectar and pollen "for a reason," when they may in fact be there as a side effect of the plant's production of protective toxins in the leaves, for example.

The amount of nicotine in nectar is much lower than that in the leaves of the tobacco plant, and may be an unavoidable consequence of the plant having evolved poisonous leaves as a defense against herbivores.

I find it extremely interesting that some plants are able to produce very mild flavored nectar while having very pungent leaves (Salvia mellifera) and others produce very strong dark honey, despite no significant odor components in the stems and leaves (Fagopyrum esculentum).

§

§