From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2021 13:55:53 -0500
>>The term AHB is misplaced.  Here the ferals are not AHB's you see on Youtube; they are as gentle/defensive just as any EHB's.  The defensive ones are >>like EHB's being inspected on a cloudy day.  When opened, they do neither scatter nor boil out.

I have been quiet,  and not said anything about the AHB  conversation,  but this is the key,   The above statement,  is NOT AHB,  and explains why some people seem to think they have merit.

I had the misfortune of getting a 1/2 load of really hot bees,  from South FL.  No  I can't argue the genetics as I have it on good authority,  it always comes back EHB.

These bees  were without any doubt Africanized,

IF your careful you might get to work a hive or two with no problems,  but When,  not if,  but when you set them off,  dropping a frame,  or a shadow passed over the box,  all heck ensues.

Completely unworkable.

When the box is opened they run the combs at a rate that would make your head dizzy.  Zero chance of finding queens.

When one hive in the yards goes,  the whole yard is now done for at least 3 days.  You walk past them at 100'  you're going to get stung,  repeatedly.

You cannot see out your mask,  they will cover anything brown,  or smelling like CO2.

AHB,  mite free or not,  are not pleasant to have  in any sort of manner,  and I normally run bees that lean towards "spicy".

IMO  those who think AHB or their crosses are acceptable,  just have never really seen them.  I suppose its possible to get used to them like some have had to do,  but man,  I think 95% of use would just quit first.