Georges Prigent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2021 18:32:59 -0400
Content-Type:
multipart/mixed
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1456 bytes) , DWV bumble bee.JPG (515 kB)
The Furst paper cited in the first post (and the Genersch paper from '96 on deformed wings in Bombus) are routinely cited as evidence of damaging overspill to non-Apis pollinators. These often lack key controls - for example, demonstrating replication of DWV in "symptomatic" Bombus.
When I heard this, I was questionning as I could not get visual proof. I mean if I can see physical DWV on honeybee, I would easily see it on my wild bumblebee nests.
Now, I'm fully convinced that wild populations of Bombus get DWV as I have seen Bombus crawling from nest located in soil 20 m away from my hives. How do they get contaminated ? I don't know ; a few of them show evidence of DWV. I see in February that some queen bumblebee tries to enter hives, looking for honey. According to my observation, I see they have no success getting in honeybees defend the entrance. But it may happen. Is it from visiting flowers ? I don't know. See picture attached taken June 24th 2020.
I keep different nests of solitary bees in addition of my hives, and regarding solitary bees, I have not yet seen this problem. . I have only noticed it on bumblebee, may be because the number of foragers is larger and it is easier to spot.
Georges France

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2