From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2021 06:45:18 -0600
>Interesting paper with application relevance. While I do not use packages, I do artificial swarms, swarm removal and broodbreaks and I would think >similar rules apply there.
>They also note that supersedure strongly correlated with a low openbrood/worker ratio 21d prior.

This type of research is why so many of us are skeptical.   Here is an entire paper devoted to what has been known for at least 50 years.   It even eludes to "Little is known"  which is nonsense.   While its fun for beginners  to read, and probably pretty accurate,  Any beekeeper out there has know for a long time  that swarms and packages replace the old queen right around the 4 week mark.   We can debate if its brood pheromones or genetics,  but that information is as old as ABCXYZ.

Charles