Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2021 15:50:07 -0500
> Now that the word 'model' is so generalized what word(s) do we now use to describe the specific type of models in the original discussion?

The word is simulation. It's important to remember that the world is basically stochastic, but patterns exist. When I look at computer generated ocean scenes, I think: that looks pretty realistic. Then I start to notice it's not realistic at all, it's mechanical. So-called artificial intelligence brings us further to simulating things, but exacts a price.

I am sure you have had the experience of talking to a robot on the phone. She says, I am sorry I couldn't understand that. So-- I have to dumb down my answers and stop mumbling to get her to understand me. I have to become stupider in order for the machine to help me.

Models, simulations, computers are tools and mechanical tools are for short cuts. We feel like we don't have time to do things the right way. Like a guy that creates sculptures with a chainsaw. Sure, that's cool, but nobody thinks it's beautiful, like they do the statues of Michelangelo..

"Cardinal Jean de Bilhères commissioned the work, stating that he wanted to acquire the most beautiful work of marble in Rome, one that no living artist could better. The 24-year-old Michelangelo answered this call, carving the work in two years out of a single block of marble."

PLB