From:
Etienne Tardif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2020 14:52:21 -0400
Hi,

I am looking for studies describing ideal temperatures for the different stages of brood development
Egg, Larva 0-1 days, Larva 1-3 days, Larva 3-5 days, capped larvae, Pupa stages, Emergence.

The reason I ask is to better understand the downward slope of the brood nest temperature as it drops to the broodless nest temperature. In the 3 charts you can see different slow downs (start points) in broodrearing. (Early August to September). The other shows the trend for 2018.

There are a few papers but they are stuck behind paywalls.

Here is what I posted in my FB group as what I think is happening in those 3 hives.
Broodrearing Cycle in Southern Lakes Area Yukon
Here is the data in graphical form.
3 hives in 3 separate locations. Carcross and Lewes have longer period of available forage in August.

Carcross: second year Yukon raised queen (split from with raised swarm cell), hawkweed pollen available into September, no frost until mid-September

Lewes Lake: 2.5 year old queen, some pollen available most of August, 1st frost late August

Mt Lorne: second year old queen (requeened last season), no pollen available in August, late July frost. Queen was still capable of laying as you can see the effect of adding 1lb pollen patties 4 times where temperature climbs to 35C for inervals 3-4 days (time to consume patty). My guess is the hive re-initiates laying and as the larvae develops the required temperature to ensure survival of the "babies" goes down as the larvae ages and matures.

What influences lateness of broodrearing into fall?
1-Pollen availability --> Weather & Plants with bloom dates in that period
2-Queen age / health --> consider re-queening yearly or at most 2 years
3-Pollen Stores --> Linked to July Pollen availability (Weather and Plants) and forager population (Hive management - Beekeeper driven)

Note: Charts are created from the data generated from the CSV available in MyBroodminder. I then append my 3 hives data, my weather station data and add an identifier (hive # and Weather Station) to get a complete data set that can be easily manipulated via pivot tables.