Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2021 12:42:26 +0100
From:
Patrick Woryna <[log in to unmask]>
Thanks for all the informative replies.
There is not much metainfo for this experiment as its a "press release"
style publication of the institue, not a paper. 56 colonies, doubles.
Formic pro was placed between the brood boxes, Nassenheider professional
<https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fhoningmagazijn.nl%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F02%2FNassenheider-Pro-2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1>
gets usually placed on top of broodbooxes into an empty box. (180ml with
probably the biggest wick setting)

Narrowing of the spread in MAQS could be explained best by more uniform T
conditions in the brood area, i believe.
I think hive ventilation by the bees is the main contributing parameter of
the differences I saw in evaporation rate in my hives over the years at
least
I knew this is a "hard" treatment with a rather "shotgun approach" to mite
control. Just didn´t think it was such a "drunk shotgun" approach.

With all that being said:
2 rounds of Formic with NHprof in late summer and Oxalic dribble in winter
(Dez) has been the standard recommendation for years here and what´s being
taught in most beekeeping classes and by using wintering success as metric
works well, but I agree that evaporation probably isn't the best
application method in general.

As to the matrix: "starch and sugar" and saw dust is all I could dig up.
How did you mix the pads back in the day, Pete?

While it is legal to use MAQS with supers on, it is not recommended as
formic acid gets into the honey, is relatively stable there and can render
it not sellable (http://media.repro-mayr.de/21/633221.pdf sry german)
Have there been other experiences/publications in your region?