Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 2020 08:04:14 -0700
From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
> Randy states he uses large volumes of formic acid and implies he has
experienced no significant safety issues.

I apologize if that's how it sounded, Dick.  I can tell you many anecdotes
of serious safety issues with formic acid, personally and by other
beekeepers!
I would not recommend the use of liquid formic by anyone without serious
training in the handling of acids.
Indeed, I've worked extensively to try to invent a method of formic
application that I considered to be more risk free to the untrained
applicator (my best invention unfortunately did not result in adequate
mite reduction).
I found even MAQS application to be of concern, due to the presence of free
formic liquid and vapor release when you open the package.

Formic Pro is a huge improvement, with far less chance of exposure.
As one who stupidly learned that without feeling any discomfort you can
kill the skin on your fingers by handling formic (resulting in hands that
are not allowed to touch one's wife for a couple of weeks), I spent the
time to determine what concentration of baking soda is necessary for quick
neutralization should one inadvertently touch a Formic Pro strip to their
skin (again, 10 heaping Tbl/gal).

Having been exposed to the fumes of both formic and oxalic, I must question
which is of more risk to one's lungs.  Formic vapor causes one to
involuntarily stop inhalation, thus preventing it from getting into the
lungs in the first place.  Oxalic "vapor" (which is a fog of microcrystals)
does not, thus allowing one to continue taking the breath in.  Only once
fully inhaled do the crystals dissolve and start to burn the inside of the
lungs.  And OAV leaves persistent acid residues on all surfaces, as opposed
to formic, which quickly flashes off.

Again, I apologize if I gave the impression that the handling of formic
acid, or of OAV were in any way free of serious risk.
This is why I am putting so much effort into selective breeding for mite
resistance -- so that we beekeepers won't need to handle dangerous
chemicals in order to keep our bees alive.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA