Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 2020 09:55:22 -0400
From:
Anne Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Peter (and all),

> I’m curious to know whether any of you have experience with so-called
> rent-a-hive (hive hosting, etc.) businesses whereby colonies are
> rented out to urban or suburban people

Yes, that's how my spouse and I got started, in 2014.

> who don’t really want to keep bees, but who are curious about the
> creatures, want to “save the bees,” see them in their flowers,
> etc. (whatever the motivation).

In our case, yes, we wanted to "save the bees" (we know better now!),
but were rather hesitant about whether we'd enjoy taking care of them.
The company we did business with put their hive on our property, but
also showed us the ropes when they came to perform inspections - that
was in fact their business model at the time.  (To my knowledge, they
are no longer placing hives with individuals; I don't know why.  If
you'd like me to put you in touch with them, write to me off list.)

After the first season, we decided we were okay with the required
tasks, and bought the bees and equipment from them.  During the
following two seasons, we contacted them for advice a couple of
times, but have been pretty much flying solo ever since.

> I’m interested to know whether there are frictions between
> rent-a-hive businesses and already established beekeepers in a given area,

We're in the suburbs; I don't believe there are any commercial
beekeepers close enough to be disturbed by our activities.

The company with whom we did business operated mostly in the city,
with a few suburban clients.  At some point I gathered that the
number of hives downtown was reaching a saturation point, so there
may have been some conflict there, but I wasn't involved and have
no real information about that.

> and what if any efforts are attempted to prevent problems
> from arising or fix them after the fact regarding conflicts among
> beekeepers in this context or in relation to the public at large
> (more swarms in neighbourhoods?).

We were taught how to prevent swarms by monitoring closely and
splitting the hive when it showed signs of crowding or swarm
preparations.  When the hive was first established, the location was
chosen carefully to avoid causing problems for neighbours, and we were
encouraged to speak with immediate neighbours beforehand.

I'm not aware of any problems or complaints having arisen from our
beekeeping activities.

Overall, we found that starting off with this type of rent-a-hive
business was very helpful, and gave us practical skills and confidence
to continue on our own.

If you have further questions, feel free to contact me on or off list,
depending on the questions.  ;-)

Anne, backyard beekeeper, Montreal.