From:
Megan Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2021 09:34:41 -0700
A topic of interest among the musically inclined is: What is the purpose of music for humans? Lots has been written about music being used for communication and broadcasting health status, but the most interesting idea to me is that music is also a way to manipulate and communicate about time.

Now, far better physicists than I, (a category which includes the whole universe of physicists), discuss whether time is real or malleable or I know not what else- I can’t participate in those discussions in any sensible way.

But it is clear that time is very important to humans, whatever it is. If we have devoted so much technology and psychology and history and everything else to time, why wouldn’t honey bees also be interested in the topic?

And if we manipulate and communicate about time using organized, purposeful sound called music, might other organisms do the same? And might the scale be much smaller for a bee, and thus beyond our ken? What about time might be interesting to a bee?

Yours in Mozart,
Megan Hughes