From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2021 12:52:04 -0400
>I think a far better and more realistic effort is to preserve the DNA

This is of course the proper approach to the current dilemma we face in global beekeeping. The Svalbard Global Seed Vault is just that, a seed vault in an ice cave location where virtually none of the seeds could germinate and survive. Brandon Hopkins at Washington State Univ. developed cryopreservation techniques some years ago for honey bee semen. There are now two repositories, one at WSU and the other at the national lab in Ft. Collins CO. Semen from many gene lines are stored and available for future use both for reintroducing lines that have been lost and research in creating new combinations. Back-breeding techniques are known and demonstrated that can "replace " queen lines in multi generational AI programs in only a few years.

>I come back here to see the same o, same o.

Don't know how many decades you have been gone but a great deal of informed discussion has been happening here in that time. We cover a wide variety of beekeeping subjects, some dispensing information and some seeking it.  Since the introduction of varroa in the late 80s beekeeping has been fundamentally changed and while the basic skills of the craft remain new skills and methods are required to deal with the varroa/virus complex. There are many approaches and opinions and all get a fair hearing, Progress will come from methods that are replicable and based on the scientific method. That is what we here are about. I for one hope we get back at it soon.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA