From:
Robert Holcombe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 2020 21:43:55 -0500
First Contact - you seem to be into this stuff as I am.  One quick comment as I was reading your comments is the use of "laminar flow".  I was never able to observe / measure the occurrence of this type of flow and its'  effects with micro-manometers but once read it can occur 300 diameters downstream from "entrance effects". Never got to use hot wire stuff but I have seen random boundary layer separation - big time.   I do like the "tidal" comment which I connect to wind effects causing pressure differentials.  I love the bees use of evaporative cooling which I could never get incorporated into my career efforts.

I am  sensing RH and Temperature at a single buffered top location in 9 hives and two nucs.  I have no top vents, restricted bottom entrance, canvass inner cover, R20+ top, R10+ sides , uninsulated bottoms.  My standard brood chamber is a wooden medium+ deep + medium all year with XPS type insulation.

I evolved to this point by simply believing in conservation of energy is the bee's desire with moisture or relative humidity control being critical to success.  I got into this  physics approach after a couple of years of beekeeping.  I intend to stay insulated all year with insulated supers on.   My environment is southern New England, coastal weather which means moist, snow, no snow, very cold, very mild, nearly always windy days, fog and drought and rapid changes.  But I am having beekeeping success as I go down the rabbit hole of  biology mixed with thermodynamics, fluid flow and chemistry.  I am old now, adapting to the new sensing abilities, transmission methods and storing massive amounts of data for processing is daunting so I also use simple pencil and paper approaches while learning data management.  My  next step is to develop multi-point sensing within a hive.  My objective is to understand the bee's requirements for an enclosure and my requirements for farming and coexisting with them.

I have a lot of posting history to read here and will try to catch up.  Happy New Year.