From:
Andrew Dewey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 2020 11:23:24 -0400
Last night at a club meeting, new hobby beekeepers were told that if you
don’t have a respirator, doing OAV (Oxalic Acid Sublimation) is fine as
long as you are careful not to breath the vapors.  After hearing from
one person who was present who is an adamant “label is the law” person,
I’m left asking if US pesticide laws need a radical redoing.

On a Zoom call not too long ago, the Massachusetts State Apiarist,
mentioned having to have someone certified in pesticide applications put
mite treatments on the state’s hives.  I don’t want to pay someone to
apply miticides to my hives.  As there is little to no enforcement of
existing pesticide regulations, I don’t see great incentive for
beekeepers to obey or even read the label.  I don’t want pesticide
scofflaws in jail, fines might work but only if the people being fined
remain keeping bees and changing their ways.

Enforcement currently only seems to occur if there is a big non-target
kill or a honey contamination issue that poisons people; as far as I can
tell it is virtually non-existent at the hobby level.

My vantage point is as a hobbyist and I’m very much aware that
commercial beekeepers quite often make keeping their bees alive their
number one priority.

Given that there is not a whole lot of profit potential with OA
specifically, I’m wondering if the existing system can cope.  I
appreciate Randy’s efforts at finding an alternative way to apply OA and
doubly appreciate that he has the permits to do so.

Thoughts?

--
https://www.avg.com