Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 2020 12:15:30 -0400
Hi all
As I have said, supersedure and failure to supersede, is not a new issue. But it has never been adequately explained, to my mind. The bees obviously have the means to replace a failing queen. Why they would fail to do so, is a puzzle.

> In a great many instances, the old queen to become superannuated and cease breeding entirely, and the bees made no preparation for supersedure, and the swarm became queenless in consequence.

E. GALLUP. Orchard, Mitchell County, Iowa. (1870) The Illustrated Bee Journal.