Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2019 09:53:39 -0500
Hi all

According to Scott McArt, writing in the ABJ:

> there’s a longstanding field of study on the topic called melissopalynology. But mellisopalynology is not an exact science. Sometimes pollens from different plant species look similar under the microscope. In fact, the whole field of palynology is going through a bit of an upheaval as DNA metabarcoding stands to replace traditional palynology approaches.

Meanwhile:

BENSALEM, Pa. — They call it the “magic box.” Its trick is speedy, nearly automated processing of DNA. “It’s groundbreaking to have it in the police department,” said Detective Glenn Vandegrift of the Bensalem Police Department. “If we can do it, any department in the country can do it.”

So -- cheap DNA analysis may be the best approach to ID'ing honey samples

🐝