From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 2020 08:44:28 -0500
I was working in Bulgaria 20 years ago and visited a group of beekeepers in
the southern tip of the country south of Burgas along the Mediterranean
Sea.  I attended one of their association meetings in an open air
pavilion beside the sea and they showed me samples of their prized pine
honeydew honey.  I remember them telling me they tested the rotation of the
sugars in the honey to prove authenticity, but believe me, if you looked at
the honey - almost black, smelled it, or tasted it, you knew that it was
derived from pine.

They had a really good market for the honey in Germany and insisted on
testing all lots of honey and issuing certificates of authenticity.  I just
did a quick search and here is a reference that states " Floral honeys are
laevorotary and honeydew (or adulterated floral) honeys are usually
dextrorotary.".   A scientific note on the specific optical rotation of
three honey types from Bulgaria Dinko DINKOV*  Apidologie 34 (2003) 319–320

I took my kids with me on some of my trips to broaden their horizons.  I
had my then 13 year old daughter with me, and my client had a 13 year old
daughter.  One spoke only English, and one only Bulgarian, but they had a
wonderful time together as we travelled around the country for 2 weeks.  My
only rule for a child accompanying me was they had to politely eat what
ever food our hosts offered up - no complaining or pushing food around the
plate.  The seaside beekeepers had a fish fry the night of the meeting.  As
the guests of honor we were offered up the first fish - small ones flash
fried without the benefit of scaling or gutting, fried fish eyes balefully
staring at the would-be diner......I am pleased to report that my daughter
ate her fish and asked for more.  The wonders of travel.......

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC