From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 2020 10:34:16 -0700

> >My question to the list is on the intermediate-to-long term storage of
> this
> pollen. What steps should need to be taken to maintain its value as a
> protein source for feeding back as a component of protein patties.

Hi Jonathan,
I held back from answering to allow those who have recently joined in to
answer first.

Let me quote from Pernal and Currie (
https://www.apidologie.org/articles/apido/pdf/2000/03/m0305.pdf  ): "
Ambiguity also remains over the value of stored pollen as a protein source
for honey bees. Most studies examining the nutritional value of pollen
after periods of storage are confounded by the use of diets with mixed, and
often unidentified, pollen species. In addition, poor descriptions of the
techniques used to store pollen, and incomplete information about the
conditions maintained during storage are common. Thus, it is difficult to
assess the effects of specific storage parameters on pollen quality, and
whether such effects are consistent among species."

I suggest that you review their entire discussion.
Bottom lines:

   - Freezing is best
   - Drying first improves
   - Removing oxygen improves more