From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2019 06:45:02 -0700

>  "Tom Seeley has been actively promoting the idea of small
> hives (in one box or at most a deep and a medium) as an approach to ensure
> honey bee survival. Note: honey production is drastically reduced by this
> method."

I've seen Seeley's supportive data for a deep, but not for a deep and a
medium.  I'll ask him if he has supportive data for that.
When I analysed his data myself, the benefit appeared to be from allowing
the small hive to plug out with honey, thus restricting the area available
for brood, thus leading to frequent swarming, and the resulting loss of
varroa to the swarms.

Had any honey been harvested from those hives, that would have allowed more
space for broodrearing, and the beneficial effect may have been lost.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA