From:
"Janet L. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2019 14:06:59 -0400
In recent exchanges on diagnosis of foulbroods (since I have had two cases of EFB in my apiary this spring), the reliability of the Vita Life EFB kits was called into question. I thought I would put this out to the list and ask if anyone has had reason to question the kits' accuracy and/or specificity. I will also contact the manufacturer, but wanted to get some "on the ground" feedback as well.

Background: last spring of 8 hives medicated with Oxytet, shook swarmed onto fresh equipment and re-medicated, 6 experienced a repeat of the brood disease. Questions: was the initial infection EFB? Was the final infection EFB? Can we be confident in the test kits to confirm that EFB is the active pathogen? Is it possible that another pathogen, which may or may not also trigger the positive test band, is present?

The stakes are high here as most hives after shook swarming cannot weather a repeat treatment (due to population impacts of the brood disease plus the shook swarming). I have adopted a euthanasia policy to prevent spread of foulbrood, so an infected colony is at best greatly set back, and at worst is euthanized. All affected equipment is sent to an Iotron (irradiation) facility for sterilization. All stores are disposed of.

Link to kit:
https://www.vita-europe.com/beehealth/products/efb-diagnostic-test-kit/

Many thanks,
Janet