Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2019 20:46:24 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Paul Hostika comments:
>>To date, it has received permission to place 20 hives at just three sites each in the national forest. That is an appropriate stocking rate and I >>believe would not negatively impact the local populations.

Not trying to be disagreeable here, but as a stationary beekeeper I confess I am, for many reasons, nettled when mobile pollinators/researchers drop large numbers of hives into my flight ranges.

I have real sympathy for commercial beekeepers and their thin profit margins. But at times their practices negatively affect the beekeepers and bees around them (beekeepers who have often worked hard to defend and augment local forage, bee health, and goodwill for bees). These  "parking of the bees" issues are part of the reason defenders of wild and native bees are calling for a limit to kept honey bee numbers.

This is a tough topic, and the beekeeping fraternity does not need further division. But with apiculture departments being underfunded or defunded, I appeal to the list members...how can we prevent these conflicts?

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2