Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2018 07:54:49 -0800
I think it bears mention for the less experienced readers on this list that feeding supplemental formulations such as sugar syrup and pollen patties will save a hive from starvation if in fact there is nothing to eat.

One of my main beekeeping areas (for hire service) is Malibu CA. Many of my hives survived but decreased markedly in size over the course of the 2 weeks or so until I was allowed back in to the area. If bees are eating up their stores and the area they are in is dry of forage, I recommend you feed or lose your bees.

Ruth in Los Angeles