Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable
Message-ID:
Sender:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Shut in and reading through old magazines:

There appeared in the Country Gentleman a short time since, an article on Bees, from H. W. BULKELEY, of Saratoga. As I have had considerable experience with them, I think I can furnish a few hints beneficial to Mr. B. as well as others.  He says, in consequence of bad seasons, “ the worms have been able to take advantage of stocks reduced by swarming and misfortune. In some instances they consumed the whole, ere they were discovered." 

Now I would suggest that Mr. B. does not make as much out of his bees as he might. I have adopted the motto, “See my bees often;" if there are any that cannot take care of themselves for want of numbers, and no remedy can be applied, I can then secure the contents in advance of the worms, which are quite certain to destroy all stocks without bees ;—timely care will save them, or at least the contents. 

In addition to the bad seasons, he says: “They were probably without a queen." This is a common occurrence; more frequent than many admit, from the fact that most people suppose that all labor then ceases; but after the first commotion of the bees in over, they continue to bring in stores the same as others ; but their numbers gradually diminish, till the worms, and robbers from other stocks, finish up the whole; and it is said, somebody’s bees robbed them, the worms destroyed them, &c; when the real cause was beyond; and they would have been lost without any of these secondary agents. 

ALBANY, N.Y., FEB. 1, 1855.

posted by Peter L Borst
PS. it's supposed to "warm up" to 51°F, today

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2