Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 2020 12:13:25 -0400
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Shut in and reading through old magazines:

There appeared in the Country Gentleman a short time since, an article on Bees, from H. W. BULKELEY, of Saratoga. As I have had considerable experience with them, I think I can furnish a few hints beneficial to Mr. B. as well as others.  He says, in consequence of bad seasons, “ the worms have been able to take advantage of stocks reduced by swarming and misfortune. In some instances they consumed the whole, ere they were discovered."

Now I would suggest that Mr. B. does not make as much out of his bees as he might. I have adopted the motto, “See my bees often;" if there are any that cannot take care of themselves for want of numbers, and no remedy can be applied, I can then secure the contents in advance of the worms, which are quite certain to destroy all stocks without bees ;—timely care will save them, or at least the contents.

In addition to the bad seasons, he says: “They were probably without a queen." This is a common occurrence; more frequent than many admit, from the fact that most people suppose that all labor then ceases; but after the first commotion of the bees in over, they continue to bring in stores the same as others ; but their numbers gradually diminish, till the worms, and robbers from other stocks, finish up the whole; and it is said, somebody’s bees robbed them, the worms destroyed them, &c; when the real cause was beyond; and they would have been lost without any of these secondary agents.

ALBANY, N.Y., FEB. 1, 1855.

posted by Peter L Borst
PS. it's supposed to "warm up" to 51°F, today