Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2020 09:35:02 -0500
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
>I looked all over their web site and I could not find

> 1. an explanation of why every single bee in the hive would pass through a single gate on a single frame

I think this is the most important behavioral consideration for this device and we already know that every phoretic mite will not pass through the portal but it would be interesting to know what percentage would.  They have acknowledged that mites are likely to traffic from emerging brood to open larvae on different frames and movement patterns will evolve along with the way brood emerges in the colony.  In their talk, they mentioned that beekeepers would need to adjust the portal's position to account for shifting brood patterns otherwise the portal may remain idle for long periods in the brood cycle.  I tried to envision how that would work in an apiary and I can't see how that would work.

I'd like to see more on the behavioral research and why they concluded that this device would be more effective than drone trapping or a single shot of OA vapor both of which we know are not very effective as stand-alone treatments with brood present.

Just an aside, most damaging phoretic mites are safely tucked under tergits with minimal exposure which makes me wonder how laser zaps will work on them.

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire CT