Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2020 12:32:51 -0500
Subject:
Sender:
From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
One factor in winter bee initiation not mentioned so far is photo period. At my location, 47N, most queens reduce laying in early Sept. and are pretty well done by early Oct. We have a fairly good and consistent pollen flow the entire time and while temps are definitely cooling most days have good flight conditions. So by extrapolation I believe most of my winter bees are raised in late Aug. thru Sept. Also coincident with the autumnal equinox when day length rapidly dwindles the farther north you go. The bees then go 5 months largely confined and while there is some brood initiation as early as Feb. it does not really get going until early April. Also coincident with the spring equinox.

The father south you go the less variation there is until you get to the tropics where there is no need for winter bees at all. Photo period is probably only one factor of many but an important one. Pollen availability is no doubt very important but it does not trump latitude.

Has anyone ever mentioned "all beekeeping is local"?

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA