From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2020 14:30:12 -0800

>   This discussion is of particular interest to me this  week as we are
> watching our weaker colonies initiate broodrearing in response to natural
> pollen, pollen sub, and temperature.  The stronger ones started earlier.
> We watch closely, since we are preparing for almond pollination.

> >The latitude is the same as Juneau, Alaska and the average daylight in
> January is less than 2 hours per day.

Pete, I interpreted their data differently, so checked another site for day
length at 57 latitude. Wikipedia says that
"At this latitude the sun is visible for 17 hours, 53 minutes during the
summer solstice and 6 hours, 43 minutes during the winter solstice."

Marcin, thanks so much for that excellent study!  That's certainly a nail
in the coffin for photoperiod.
I'm glad that they mentioned Olmholt's moisture-regulation hypothesis,
which I covered in my last article in ABJ.

Geoff, in California, during the winter solstice, if pollen is coming in,
colonies also build up strongly.

Jennifer, I'm very interested in studying your chart.  Could you please
tell us the color coding of the various plots?
And yes, from everything that I have read and seen, winter bees are reared
the same; it's just whether they engage in broodrearing after emergence or
not.  Then once they engage in springtime, they begin to rapidly age.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA