From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2019 19:23:12 +0000
 I drove to Detroit from my house east of Cleveland Saturday. At my altitude (1200 feet) locusts started blooming last Thursday right on schedule. They come into bloom between May 28 and June 5 for the last 40 years. Earlier on a wet cold spring and later on a warm dry spring! Figure that one out. I saw tens of thousands in late bloom down at altitudes from 600 feet to 800 feet. Had a cold rain late Saturday. Coming home all the low altitude trees were nearly bloom free. At my place the blooms look beat up and doubt if they have any nectar, but are still holding the flowers. Over all it looked like a very good bloom but weather knocked most of the flowers off so the bees likely only had four or five days on locust.

Dick

HL Mencken said: "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed — and hence clamorous to be led to safety — by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. "