From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Dec 2018 07:51:47 -0800
I was a bit less than impressed by this study.  Read deep and look at the
minimal differences in genetics between the stocks.
As many of us have observed, colonies going into winter with moderately
large clusters consisting of high-protein, mite- and virus-free young bees,
with plenty of quality honey above the clusters, survive well over the
winter.

The authors published what I consider to be a far more informative paper in
2015:
  Overwintering honey bees: biology and management Mehmet Ali Do¨ ke,
Maryann Frazier and Christina M Grozinger
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA