From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2018 20:36:28 -0500
An exception to the generalized drop-off in insect numbers seems to be the
"Love Bugs", (plecia nearctica), who are legion in both May and September in
such numbers as to force drivers to pull off highways to clean off their
windshields and headlights, as wipers and washers cannot keep up.

I asked a friend who still lives in Florida. The fall numbers this year were
"as bad as ever", meaning large numbers.

Mayfiles could be found swarming in massive numbers around the Great Lakes
in the 1980s, but I do not know if their numbers have reduced in recent
years.  As they spend most of their life cycle underwater, I'd submit that
they would provide us a big clue as to the proximate cause of the drop off
in other insects.  They are widespread enough to be a good sentinel species,
and fly fishermen take careful note of their hatch-out dates, as one wants
to use a fly appropriate for the day.