From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2018 16:59:37 -0500

>> So, why the big drop in population?  The only explanation is some disease that whacks those imported lady bugs
>
> Or it could be the normal "Fox and Hare" phenomenon. I don't know but boom and bust due to available food resource is a well established cycle. I too live in a remote area that experiences such lady bug booms.

Hi Paul & All

I was in downtown Toronto a year or so before the bitting Japanese ladybugs arrived.  Looking west on Queen St from Bay St on a sunny August afternoon there appeared to be a ground fog.  The fog turned out to be aphids, billions of them.  Great food for ladybugs which resulted in exponential growth in ladybug population over the next few years.  When the aphids were all eaten, the ladybug population declined.  The fog wasn’t only in Toronto but all over southern Ontario.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada
44N80W