Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2019 18:01:21 +0000
From:
Seth Charbonneau <[log in to unmask]>
Thanks for the responses
took them out of the incubator and
Itore open 20 cells last night. Only 2 had anything but mush or just a dried stain on the cell.  One of the 2 kinda looked like the google pictures for BCQV

EFB is possabuilty as its on the uptick in this area, but I am not seeing it in these hives.  For more back story I had an outbreak in the main yard and followed the old advice "waited for it to go away when the flow starts" when that didn't work I shook swarmed when that didn't work I turned to OTC. On top of summer losses from not using OTC as my 1st line, I took winter losses on 20 of the 26 OTC treated hives.. this "new" EFB sucks.

I wish I had had the problem of EFB + hives not making cells. I was running QL starter/finishers last year (and did a lot of placing grafts in nucs as 48-hour cells) by putting the queen in a nuc. The mother hive looked fine at the start, but I noticed a strong EFB outbreak in one of the nucs (after a few batches of cells).. I hadn't kept notes.... yep it got everywhere.  But I was able to contain it to that yard. Every yard has its own tools and  I use disposable gloves

Spring build up in what was left this year was slow, 2 of the 6 are on OTC as they are showing symptoms, So I picked the best I had in an out yard.

A loose virgin could account for the issue in the split, and was my 1st thought before the rest of the issues droped,  but the cell builder (mother hive) did the same thing, they made wild cells in the 1st round of cell building, and when I went in to cut them out they were gone. Seems this line likes to tear down..

Today was day 10, put the cells in roller cages in the builder.  Popped open four of them, 2 looked good, 2 were brown goo, didn't have the presence of mind to rope test them, guess I will on those that don't emerge. So the incubator was part of the problem, but those were back...not brown.
shook off all of the frames to take a hard look. Brood was a tad spotty. No scales, sunken or perforated cappings, yellowed, twisted or deflated larva.  Saw one cell of chalk and 3 upturned larvae that looked sacbrood ish, not EFB ish .

Maby time for a test kit, I just am not seeing anything like this in the worker brood.....