From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2022 20:08:06 -0500
> As far as the ingredients used in the Homebrew diet, the two components of interest would be the Brewtech yeast and the toasted soy flour (brand not specified).

> Cargill's soy flour is 200 mesh (74 micron).

This was why I was so interested - the homebrew recipe is a prerequisite to understanding the observations, and apparently the level of detail required is down to the grinding for one product vs another.

The pragmatic beekeeper, seeing that the bees "did well" with the homebrew mix, worries, expecting that he will have to feed 1/4 or 1/3 more of it by weight as compared to a commercial product, due to discards. So one has to sharpen a pencil and work out if any money is actually save by mixing up the homebrew over just buying the store-bought mix.  But this is apparently a worry only an **older** beekeeper would have - as flours are ground much finer than in the past.

So, the entire "particle size doesn't matter" argument can be replaced with "the off-the-shelf ingredients are ground as small or smaller than required".

TL:DR - things have improved in the last 20 years.  Even flour.