From:
Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 2021 07:49:11 +1000
>One presumes that nectar out west is not scentless solutions of sugars and water. Anyone opening a beehive knows what a honey crop in progress smells like to a human (in fact, that odor from a hive is perhaps one of the most pleasurable aspects of beekeeping, second only to never missing a sunrise because one us up early to avoid the heat.)

Here in far west Queensland Australia we have the situation where on a yapunyah ( Eucalyptus ochrophloia) flow honey supers can be taken off by "drifting".  This is where the supers are stood on end on top of the hive and the bees drift out and back into the hive.  There is no robbing and the super can be left on top of the hive for a long time before putting on the truck to go back to the honey shed.  Do this on other flows and there will be robbing within minutes.  So why no robbing on yapunyah but robbing on other flows?

Trevor Weatherhead
Australia