From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2021 13:11:11 -0500
>distribution is very good by dribble application, perhaps not so by vaporization.

This has been my observation also. Dribble is not as easy single-handed with multi storied hives, vaporization (band heater) is so easy but how do we improve distribution? Questions for you engineers.

How do we measure distribution? I see "dusted " bees exit just after application and assumed that the natural movement of bees would distribute the crystals. Examining upper frames just after application I see very little "dusted" bees. I wonder if some simple exhaust fan on an inner cover would pull the vapor up. I have a generator going anyway so it would be easy. But if the crystals condense in seconds how effective would that be?

How long are the crystals active once on the bees? We have gone with the understanding that it is 36 -48 hr. What are the factors that determine active life of crystals? Why is it different on a sponge or strip for example? What happens to the condensate that does not land on a bee? If it is on the hive interior why doesn't contact by bee movement work?

I have lots more but this would be a good start.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA