From:
Etienne Tardif <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2021 12:46:24 -0500
I have followed some of the work that was being done in BC on the association of EFB/Snotbrood and blueberries.

Here are a couple of good information sources detailing the blueberry industry in BC in relation to EFB issues. Beekeepers were refusing to put bees on the blueberries.
https://www.msl.ubc.ca/the-blueberries-and-the-bees/
https://bchoneyproducers.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Higo-Common-Health-Bees-in-Blueberry-Pollination.pdf (I will check to see if they finished analyzing their data and issued a final report)

Fact sheet looking at potential impact of feeding pollen patties when bees are on blueberries from Nova Scotia (result: no impact) - https://www.perennia.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/ATTTA-FactSheet-Oct-2019.pdf

Here in the Yukon my bees are naturally on kinnikinnick (heath family) and lingonberries (low bush cranberry) from late May to mid June, however this is also our prime native flower pollen and nectar flows. My 2019 honey shows significant Lingonberry pollen but with what looks like willow. Luckily we have lots of wild willow (40+ species) and many other plants blooming from late April to early July (Pollen and Nectar sources). I have only seen EFB like symptoms once in the last 10 years during a hot dry heat wave.

Finally looks like I got my research grant to review Yukon Honeys (and several other Boreal forest honeys) using NMR, Pollen analysis and some data collection (Hive management).