From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 2021 16:41:57 -0500
> In the case of sex determination and thelytoky each individual can be assigned clearly to a category and genotyped.  Have not read the paper,
but I this group knows their genetics, classical and molecular, and
would be very cautious before publishing their findings.

A related paper, just published on January 22, 2021, reviewed Yagound's work and concluded the following.

> The potentially last chapter of the thelytokous saga strongly supports GB45239 as the causal gene for clonal reproduction in the Cape honey bee. Using full genome sequencing of nearly 50 females from a backcross between capensis and scutellata, Yagound et al. (2020) found several markers in GB45239 that showed consistent co-segregation with thelytoky. The author consulted population genomic datasets and found that the thelytoky-associated alleles were present in all A. m. capensis genomes sequenced to date but were absent from all other honey bees in African, Asia and Europe. Finally, expression patterns of GB45239 were consistent with its putative function; it is expressed in ovaries and downregulated in clonal workers.

> The honey bee genome-- what has it been good for?
Amy L. Toth & Amro Zayed

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13592-020-00829-3

Bill Hesbach
Cheshire CT