Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 2021 14:08:49 -0500

¶

> Animal behavior, like many scientific fields, suffers from a “reproducibility crisis” that makes it difficult to assess how reliable or universal findings are. In addition, animal studies sometimes generalize their findings from only a few individuals.  ... Another important part of understanding reproducibility is that many experiments depend on some biological component that goes unmeasured.

--  The Scientist. https://www.the-scientist.com/

¶

To be able to teach honey bees to do our bidding is not an example of how to study bee biology, any more than teaching a dog to do tricks, or a parrot to talk gives general insight into their behavior or capacity in the world. Further, if data are unavailable due to being classified or trade secrets, and therefore cannot be verified, they don't add a jot to our scientific understanding. -- PLB