From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2021 20:13:55 +0000
> Unless they were smart enough to fly downwind
> for a few hundred yards and sniff what would
> now be upwind ...

We had a student win a state science fair project using our LIDAR.  Although the student conducted a short set of trials, they found evidence that when a colony is brought into a new territory and makes its first foraging flights -the foragers did not forage from the hive outward, but instead flew over the adjacent fields and then began working their way back toward the hive.
There is also many comments and notes about bees more or less ignoring the first 100 yards (m) or so less that are closest to their hives.
We have been able to get them to search close areas, but we have to work a bit harder to get them to do so.  Jerry