From:
ROBERT RAUCH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 2021 20:32:38 +0000
Allen mentioned this was a lax period to post.  I read today of alarming decline of monarch butterflies- at least the west coast population.   I know insect decline has been discussed here many times but needs to be refreshed in our minds continuously.  I was recently harping on this to my sons.  Honey bees get much deserved attention as are obviously essential but all insects are in decline. They are the basic start of the food chain.  I am 70.  Live in the most productive farming area in Missouri. Pharmacist.  When in high school I worked at a pharmacy till 10pm.  Driving 3 miles home. I remember having to stop to clean the windshield on rare occasions but it happened.  Worse was the radiator front could become so plugged as to not function.  I had the health inspector out to evaluate our extracting area this past summer.  There was a Luna moth resting on the outside of the screen.  They have a 5 to 6 inch wing span.  First one I had seen since 8th grade. Personal opinion is I blame fence to fence cropping with absolutely no buffer zone and preemergent seed treatment.  I understand the incentive for both.  Easy to blame vague climate warming.  I accept it is an important factor but just kicks blame right now down the road.  This started years ago with introduction of vast chemical controls.  If you are old enough, remember back to the clouds of insects around the street lights until about midnight in the past.
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android