From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 2020 18:32:10 -0500
Hi Etienne & All

My bees are located between a fast moving stream, with white cedars lining the bank, and a pond with a mixed bush between.  Beyond the pond is a steep hill also mixed bush with lots of trees that my tidy side feels should have the dead & dying trees removed, but my lazy side says ah! let the forest critters have them until they fall.  And that supports Etienne’s comment below.  We have Pileated woodpeckers(Dryocopus pileatus) & Great horned owls(Bubo virginianus) as our largest woodpeckers & owls resident nearby.

> On 22 Nov 2020, at 1:10 PM, Etienne Tardif <[log in to unmask]> wrote:. The point on the topic was how most modern forest management policies (logging or fire smarting) focus on older forests or cleaning out the older larger trees. These practices have been shown to have an impact on most woodpecker populations. In areas with fewer larger woodpeckers (due to loss of habitat), larger owls populations were impacted, followed by small mammals, birds, and insects using these same trees for various purposes.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada 44N80W