Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 2020 10:01:50 -0400
Hi all
Just obtained: Hadfield, J. W. (1912). Rope: Its Use and Care on the Farm. Department of Agriculture. New South Wales. Farmer's Bulletin, No. 61.

What is remarkable is the clear photographs of the various knots and splices, and the clear writing.

> Before continuing further, the fact should be emphasised that this article will prove practically valueless unless the reader takes a three strand rope into his hand, and endeavours to follow out the instructions given with the aid of the illustrations.

His description of the knot in question, which he calls the "Hay Knot," includes some interesting terms I haven't heard before:

> To draw the knot tight, pull evenly on the lower loop and the loose end. This loose end is then passed round the guard irons of the dray and up through the lower of the two loops.

He also warns of the danger of this knot's slipping:

> Where the "Hay" knot, as it is often called, is to be made more or less permanent, as in the case of railway trucks, &c., the top loop should take a half-hitch around the taut rope. If this precaution is not observed, anyone stepping on the upper loop will cause it to slip. The knot will, of course, only hold while the rope is taut.

PLB