From:
Alex Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 2020 22:30:48 -0400
At one of my apiaries we're surrounded by some large groves of Black
Gum, *Nyssa
sylvatica*.

Usually, the weather is not so great and the bees mix in the Black Gum
honey with the rest of the varieties without producing a monofloral crop.
This year we had nearly perfect weather and every colony put on at least a
super of honey.

While I find it somewhat hard to believe, the monofloral honey from the
Black Gum bloom is quite bitter, almost tastes like cough medicine.  I find
it odd, because the Black Gum is closely related to the Tupelo, which is
revered for its honey.

It's certainly some of the most bizarre tasting honey I've ever discovered,
and while not unpalatable, it's certainly not what I was expecting.

Any thoughts?