Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 2020 13:19:47 -0400
Hi all
I have just finished a short piece on Langstroth for publication in the ABJ. Needless to say, I accumulated more than a book's worth of notes and jottings. Here are some

§

FEEDING BEES ON SUGAR-CANDY.
This is a discovery of the utmost importance. It has been ascertained by actual experiment that a few pounds of sugar-candy will (particularly in the Langstroth hive) preserve a colony from starvation. The candy may be purchased at a confectionery : the plain is preferable, but hoarhound or lemon will do : it is made in slats about an inch wide and a quarter of an inch thick, and laid on top of the frames, just below the honey board: a few sticks may be stuck amongst the bees. It, or loaf-sugar, may be pulverized and rubbed in the combs. From two to four pounds, according to the condition of the hive, will effectually prevent a colony from the perils of starvation. Full directions how to prepare the candy, will be found in Mr. Langstroth's work.

American Bee Journal, Vol. I, No. 10. October 1861. p. 213

§
The Value of Combs.
The value of good combs in movable frames for the use of the bees is many times greater than their mercantile value, reduced to wax. Every bee-keeper should be careful to pre serve all the good brood-combs for the use of his swarms. All white clean pieces should be cemented into the surplus honey-boxes. Only refuse-comb should be melted into wax.  If the movable frame of Mr. Langstroth was of no other service, its value in enabling the bee-keeper to preserve his combs for future use would be a great boon. Its general adoption in the United States might be made to save millions of pounds of honey now wasted by bees in constructing comb.

THE AMERICAN BEE JOURNAL AND GAZETTE. Vol. II, No. 9. MARCH, 1867. p. 179

¶

What is your opinion as to where I can get the genuine Italian bee?
I should advise you to send to Mr. Langstroth by all means. Not only that he is perfectly reliable and trustworthy in every respect, but that I think all bee-keepers should remember him with gratitude, as being the one who alone introduced movable frames and raised beekeeping from what it was a few years ago to its present advanced state. Let each one strive if possible not to have it said, as it has been many times before, that our great original inventors never receive the credit or benefit of their inventions. Who that has read Langstroth's writings can for a moment doubt his sincerity or his candor ?

American Bee Journal - VOL. III,  No. 4.  OCTOBER., 1867. p. 65
EDITED ANL PUBLISHED BY SAMUEL WAGNER, WASHINGTON, D. C.

PLB