From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jun 2020 19:00:29 -0400
> On 21 Jun 2020, at 12:25 PM, Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>  users of non-traditional hives, especially those that use hive bodies that are smaller than the standard Langstroth-based boxes.

Hi Jerry & All

My use of a single deep as a brood chamber is common here in Ontario but not so, apparently, south of the border.  I also use 9 frames in all brood and honey boxes.  At my age I find deeps too heavy when full of honey so use 9 frame mediums above Q excluders
I do not buy mated queens to requeen my colonies.  If I find a hive that is obviously having queen problems I combine one of my 4 frame nucs with the troubled hive.  Do I have swarms?  Yes a few that I have seen or realised later that they left but not many.  My average production is 150 pounds per producing colony with some  strong colonies producing in excess of 300 pounds most years, so my honey production is not compromised by my non-traditional methods.

Bob Darrell
Caledon  Ontario
Canada, 44N80W