From:
Alex Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 2020 13:44:44 -0400
One of the challenges with dealing with an EFB outbreak is applying the
antibiotic correctly.

I've had mixed success in just placing it on the top bars, and have only
gotten decent results when I spread it throughout the middle of the colony/
brood nest.  On colonies with a "serious infestation", where there's yellow
rotting larva in the brood nest, I liberally sprinkle OTC in the middle of
the brood nest - and this seems to do an excellent job at clearing up the
infection.

  Few things are more frustrating than applying OTC only to find that it
wasn't quite applied correctly.  I say, go with powdered sugar, and try to
either get it right into the brood nest, or right next to it.

The Mann Lake version requires 2 tablespoons, and the dadant version
requires THREE tablespoons.  So the best bang for your buck is the Mann
Lake, since both come in 10lb packages.

OTC purchased without a VFD is marked up considerably in price.  I've seen
half a KG sell for nearly $100!

I'd agree with Richard, in that the law hurts the side liner and hobbiest
beekeeper, who may have EFB but no quick treatment with OTC.