From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 2020 06:16:53 -0700
> Do they "recycle" the dead EFB larva or dump them out of the hive?
I've never noticed any EFB larvae on the bottom board or entrance.

As I was working hives yesterday, I thought of this discussion.
When someone posts about the epidemiology of a bee disease, what is
necessary to address it, and the expected outcome, it would be wise to not
make blanket statements, based upon one's experience from a one-off event.

This is the reason that I am presenting different experiences than
Janet's.  I've dealt with EFB for decades and with many thousands of hives,
and have noticed the different epidemiology of some of the new strains.
But we've successfully dealt with it without needing to resort to shook
swarm and destruction of equipment.  My point is, there are a lot of
variables, and I'd be cautious about blanket recommendations for extreme
measures.

This brings to mind an event a few years ago.  I was being visited by a
provincial bee inspector from Australia.  We came across a laying worker
hive, and I pointed out how I would typically see EFB in laying worker
hives.  The brood was full of it.  EFB is a reportable disease in
Australia, so the inspector was shocked when I simply broke down the
queenless hive, and placed its brood chambers on top of healthy queenright
hives.  I told him that that was my common practice, and that the EFB would
quickly disappear.  This was before the new strains showed up, so nowadays
I'd likely give the combined hive a two-week treatment with oxytet.

I'm not making any recommendations -- just pointing out that well-nourished
colonies can often deal with bacteria, fungi, and viruses.  AFB is an
exception, due to the persistent spores.
And I'm now clearly seeing that one can breed for bees that can also handle
varroa just fine on their own.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA