From:
Bill Hesbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 May 2020 18:25:50 -0400
Randy > If this is the case, that makes me wonder whether those of us who don't
react much to stings are really at low risk for an unexpected allergic
reaction.

I would say everyone is at some risk of an unexpected allergic reaction.  Look at the IgG levels in the serum of beekeepers  ( Table 1 in the study) versus other folks that are on the allergic spectrum.  On average beekeepers are maintaining a much higher adaptive response but also notice the variation.  I'm guessing none of us have been tested to determine how our immune system is reacting to stings, and unfortunately as we age our bone marrow ages with us, and our immune system weakens.  An awareness that something can change, at least with age,  is probably wise.

> These studies suggest that there is an immunologic basis for bee venom anaphylaxis and for relative immunity from bee stings. The presence of bee venom specific IgE appears responsible for the immediate anaphylactic reaction. This antibody is present in sera of almost all patients who have had recent anaphylaxis.’ It is not present in significant titer in the sera of “immune,” beekeepers, yellow jacket sensitive patients, and nonallergic normal patients. Other studies of beekeepers have also shown that when the beekeeper does have an anaphylactic reaction, the immunologic pattern is characterized by a relatively high titer of IgE- and a low titer of IgG specific antibodies. 2

Clinical application of measurements of serum levels of bee venom-specific IgE and IgG
Wilma C. Light,  et al.

https://www.jacionline.org/article/0091-6749(77)90158-0/pdf