From:
"Janet L. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2020 06:24:27 -0400
I run two apiaries, both are on land zoned for agriculture, but the land is surrounded by housing.

I am looking for advice on engaging community support, as every year I have to deal with people who object to the hives...they often open with the same line, "I love the bees, but....". And frequently cite concern on behalf of children.

This really only happens because they can see the hives. If the hives were invisible, no one would ever know the bees were there. As you all know, once you get 15' or so away from the bees they are so tiny you can't see them in flight. And it is not that anyone is being stung or threatened, or has seen a bee. They are just afraid of them. Many think the pain and swelling we all experience from stings indicates lethal allergy. Not that they have epipens....

So, if any of you have experience with getting people "on board" with community apiaries, hints and tips, please fire away.  I am looking for strategies to employ to get the community engaged with and supportive of the apiaries.

Regards all,
Janet